Wednesday, March 10, 2010

It's a Girl!

K had her baby! She's an adorable little girl, and I think she will look very cute in this baby sweater. Although she probably won't be able to wear it until next year.



I found the pattern on Ravelry and thought that it would be a good option for either a boy or girl especially in a warm yellow color.


This is my first knitted sweater, and there was a certain learning curve for me when following the pattern. I followed the advice of another knitter and just casted on 62 stitches from the very beginning, instead of trying to do increases at the neck. Once I got to the raglan increases, I used this video to learn how to M1 stitch . My next area of difficulty was the sleeves. I used that crazy Magic Loop Method, mostly because I don't have double pointed needles in the right size. I used this video to learn how to use the Magic Loop Method . After knitting one sleeve, I noticed an annoying little gap under the arm, I used this video to learn how to pick up stitches from a previous row appropriately. The video is for a dog sweater, but it's the same technique.

It was somewhat challenging for me to knit this because of my inexperience. However, I really wanted to make it for K and I had a deadline!

After presenting it to K I had a weird reaction. I was relieved that I had completed it, happy she liked it, but my hands felt completely restless. So....I'm making another one for Baby C. right now! It will be a lightweight summer sweater-cover up. I'm using a white cotton yarn I've had forever, in a bigger needle. I'm going to make it into a hoodie, maybe make the bottom a tunic style, and add two little tassel ties at the neck. I see this as an "evening stroll on the boardwalk" type of sweater. Regardless of where he wears it, I hope it turns out cute.

2 comments:

  1. We love it, Aunt S! It's so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a beautiful sweater...you really are stepping up your work honey!

    ReplyDelete

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 Generic License.