Sunday, July 10, 2011

Better Late Than Never


I've been without my camera for several weeks (left it at a family BBQ) so I am a little behind the eight ball when it comes to posting anything. I finally got it back this week, just in time for Girls Night at K's! But then I forgot to bring it with me. Boo. K was a great hostess, but not a lot of crafting went on: she organized coupons, and P. and I probably only knit a row or two on our respective projects. I blame the lazy days of summer for the craft slump. I personally haven't been finishing much when it comes to crafts either.

One thing I did manage to complete was this patriotic shirt for the the 4th of July.


I had an extra white shirt hanging around, and I thought it would be fun to make a shirt for Little C. Instead of a plain red, white, and blue flag, or the shape of the U.S. in flag colors, I chose the Seal of the United States for my design.



Ironically enough, inspiration came my way after watching a lot of the festivities leading up to the Royal Wedding. I saw an interesting segment on TV about William and Kate's Coats of Arms. I love symbolism in general and hearing about what the colors and images meant was pretty cool. The U.S. Seal is sort of like the U.S.'s coat of arms. So, my 4th of July inspiration came to me by way of England. The very country the colonists declared indepence from back in 1776.



My transfer method was pretty primitive: the usual file folder and I used tape to create the stripes.



Little C. wore it on the 4th and it looked cute on him. To make it a REAL 4th of July shirt, maybe I should have removed the olive branch and 13 arrows in the eagle's talons and replaced them with hot dogs and firecrackers?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 Generic License.