Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Not My Knits: Baby Blanket in White


This blanket was given to me at my baby shower by my friend J. She commissioned her grandmother-in-law to make it. Later I placed it on the nursery floor and used it to take Little C.'s baptism photos. It made such a stunning backdrop with the little guy in his christening gown lying on top of it.


It's folded across the back of the chair in the nursery still, probably because I love looking at it so much. I really love this design and it is made so expertly. Nobody really knits/ crochets like a grandmother does!


I've tried to find the pattern for this online but I can't find anything exact. This pattern (from Ravelry) was as similar as I could find.

I do have a crochet book though that shows several variations on this "spider" stitch. (It reminds me more of a sun than a spider.) After flipping through the book and studying the designs I finally narrowed it down to the right stitch. I decided to give it a go and make a short swatch using scrap yarn to try it out. I'm always up for a learning experience!



One of the first things I learned was how to make a treble stitch, a stitch I've never encountered before. Another thing I was struck by was how involved this pattern was. God bless J's grandmother!



The final thing I discovered was that this pattern was not made up of granny squares. When looking at the blanket I had mistakenly thought that each of the sunbursts (or spiders) were made individually and then joined together. Not so. The pattern is made of a series of stitches row after row. What a surprise!

*Contented sigh*

I loved the blanket to start out with, but I have an even deeper appreciation for it now that I know how it was made.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 Generic License.