Thursday, June 16, 2011

Nautical Stripes



Little C wore his Boardwalk Sweater a lot last year so I really wanted to make him a new version for this summer. I thought about it a lot. The thought process kind of went like this:




I'll make the same sweater in a bigger size!
--nah, too boring. However, I really want to use white cotton again.



Oooo, I love white and navy blue together! I'll make a hooded tunic with navy blue trim all around the neck and bottom.
---hmmm, that's kind of girly. And it's making me think of the Real Housewives of OC for some reason. Forget the tunic.




Oooo, wait a minute! How about a french sailor uniform? Let me go research sailor uniforms from the 1900s-1940s on the internet.
-----um, I think I'll just make a striped sweater. With a hood. Using a pattern I've used a million times before.



I do tend to complicate things. I wound up wanting to make this very common striped design (I've seen it everywhere, especially this spring); I even have a striped top that's slightly similar to this. We can wear them together and be twins.



I didn't bother blocking the sweater; I wanted it to have that relaxed, summery feel to it (and I was too lazy to block it!) It's soft and cool, like a terry cloth towel. The hood is extra big and floppy, and it looks so cute on Little C. I can't wait for him to wear it on the boardwalk on an evening stroll, or on a windy day. It makes me think of the sounds of gulls calling to each other, the dry creaking wood of the boardwalk, and the surf breaking on the sand. Ahh, summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 Generic License.