Thursday, August 12, 2010

More Fall Love



Baked sweet potato casserole with scorched marshmallow topping,
pumpkin spice cake,
freshly grated cinnamon,
moist pumpkin bread,
cider donuts in waxed paper bags from the local orchard,
hot mulled cider with nutmeg,
pumpkin pie,
stuffed apples baking in the oven oozing cinnamon sugar...

I LOVE the color of this sweater. It reminds me of fall and it's triggering a lot of fall associations for me like the list above.


Yes, I do realize that this yarn makes me think of food. The color just seems so similar to my favorite fall foods.

I really am not trying to rush the summer away, but there are subtle signs that fall is around the corner (despite the extreme heat wave in my area). I take Little C for a daily walk and I was shocked to see acorns already on the ground yesterday. I haven't seen any leaf color change yet, but it's just weeks away.

I love the change of seasons. There are times when I think about living in an area with static weather (namely constant sunshine, in the 70s), but I don't think it's for me. There's something very comforting and exciting about the cyclical changes forever happening outside.

When the temperature starts to drop a bit, and I'm starting to stock up on Pumpkin Spice cake (and other favorite fall food) ingredients, that will be the perfect time for Little C. to break out this sweater (which I titled his "Rustic Rust Sweater") and strut his stuff on our fall outings.


I used a pattern called Oh, Handsome which is an adorable name for a little boy's sweater. And Little C. certainly looks handsome in it.

I saw this pattern about two years ago and always wanted to make it. I have to admit that it turned out more rustic than I imagined. I think I'd like to have it more streamlined, but that has a lot to do with my yarn/ needle choice, as well as my skill level. I had a lot of trouble with the arms and I think I might like to make another sweater in this pattern using a different technique for them. I also followed some modifications that other Ravelry users recommended, namely using the kitchener stitch to graft the shoulder seams and leaving live stitches on the back neckline before knitting the shawl collar.


This was my last knitting project before I started a new job. It's part-time, at-home work, which is wonderful  because it doesn't interfere with any time with Little C. It does, however, interfere with knitting/craft time. I have a completed project here and there that I have yet to post about, but I don't think I'm going to have much time to craft/ post on a regular basis after that. We'll see. Maybe I'll surprise myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 Generic License.