Friday, August 20, 2010

Mommisquare Shrugged


This is my reward for working so hard lately. Ok, I know what you're thinking, "You knitted yourself a rectangle? That's a reward?"


Well, it is sort of a knitted rectangle, but when you fold it like this, it slips over your shoulders and becomes a shrug! I noted my friend J's cute shrug several months ago and when I saw this pattern, I decided I would make one for myself.


This is the first thing I've ever made for myself (when it comes to knitting or crochet). I thought it would be too ambitious b/c of my lack of time, but it was the perfect project for my current lifestyle; it's TREMENDOUSLY EASY and relatively fast--the entire thing took about 5 weeks of on and off knitting. I followed a fellow Ravelry member's modifications: knit the first 12 inches in the round (which means only knitting and no purling=super fast) and then leave 136 stitches on a stitch holder and knit the other 136 stitches flat for 14 inches. Then join to the live stitches on the stitch holder using the kitchener stitch. Voila! You're done. No seaming, no sleeves...AND this was all yarn I had in my stash from about 10 years ago. I don't know why I bought the yarn back then, in fact, I don't know why I bought any of the yarn I currently have in my stash back then. Maybe I just had a premonition that it would come in handy at some future date.

It's hard to truly see how the pattern looks without wearing it...so here are some glamour shots I had to take of myself in the mirror. Little C can't work the camera for me yet.

Work it!


A bit more attitude, please...


Show that camera who's boss!

I'm really pleased with the outcome and would love to try making some other things for myself at some point. Right now I have other things on the radar, however. I also need to catch up on my sleep. That seems to be where I'm finding my new craft time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 Generic License.