Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Blair Witch

I'm pretty sure the Blair Witch was really just a knitter.


Maybe an evil knitter, but a knitter nonetheless.


This is my first attempt at using double pointed needles (DPNs) and all  I could think about were the stick things from The Blair Witch Project.

Double pointed needles seemed as strange to me as the unnatural stick figures in the forest from that movie.  I always think about the first person in history to do something out of the box, and think, where did they come up with this? I kinda feel that way about double pointed needles. Whoever came up with this technique? I really do admire inventive folks.

I sort of got the hang of it after awhile, but I need more practice. Here's a video that illustrates how to use DPNs.

Apparently there's another piece of witchery that you can use instead of DPNs to form small circular knits. It's called the Magic Loop method. I can't wrap my head around that yet, but I might try to use it for the sleeves on one of the sweaters I'm currently making.

Anyway, here is the end result.




It turned out cute in spite of me not really knowing what I was doing. I followed this  pattern, but added an I-cord to the top instead of the leaves/ stem.

*Note: the "I" in I-cord stands for "idiot"--as in it's supposed to be so easy to make that even an idiot can do it. When I read that I immediately felt a TON of pressure. What if I couldn't make an I-cord??? I would officially be an idiot! Would this be an episode I would need to seek therapy for years from now?

Never fear, I was able to do it by following this tutorial. Whew! Disaster averted. I am not an idiot, so it seems. But it was a close one...

1 comment:

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 Generic License.