Thursday, October 14, 2010

WIPS RIPS

It's starting to get a little chilly where I live, time for the bears to head into their respective lairs, get under their covers, turn out the lights on their night tables, and snuggle into their pillows for a long hibernation.

But these WIPS have been hibernating already for quite some time in a closet in the spare room. I thought I'd pull them out of their slumber and decide whether or not they're worth keeping around.


First up: Little C's Big Boy Blanket. I love the colors, it will be perfect for Little C to cuddle with on the couch, or look cute when it's folded up at the end of a big boy bed. (Which I don't want to rush at all. Why do kids have to grow up so fast???) I definitely want to continue making this. This WIP is free to return to it's lair.


Next up: Little C's yellow cardigan. This was my first real foray into knitting. There were mistakes all over it. So I turned it into this:


 RIP, little WIP. I'll have to find something else to do with this yarn.



Third up: Crochet Beach Tote. I had the best intentions when making this. I could totally see myself sporting this circular hemp crochet tote on the beach, but I lost interest and then it wasn't beach weather any more. And then I realized that I hardly even went to the beach this year, and that when I did I had to carry a huge bag to lug all the STUFF a mom has to carry. So, my cute, dainty little hemp tote was 100 % impractical.

In spite of all this, though, I'm not ready to give up on this yet; I'm not willing to give up on the beach dream--the one where I actually relax and read a book, with a tropical drink in my hand. Okay little WIP, you may return to your lair unscathed.


Final WIP: Light and Airy Crochet Nightgown. This was an attempt to merge crochet and sewing together. I gathered some materials together and started to crochet some circles using a tiny metal hook.

These were going to be the straps to my Light and Airy Nightgown. I figured I would also use some crochet trim to embellish it. When I look at this now I want to ask only one question: Was I smoking crack?! The amount of time needed for me to make this would be ridiculous. I also have no idea how to sew a garment and did not have a pattern to follow. Oh, also add to the equation that I would be spending a ton of time on a garment that I would never wear outside the house. I won't even mention the fact that I do not wear nightgowns (Light and Airy or otherwise) at all to bed. I wear my husband's old t-shirts. That sounds really cute, but it's, um,  really not; It's all about comfort over fashion these days. I'm ready to forget this project and fast! RIP, Light and Airy Crochet Nightgown.

Ah, that feels better. Cleaning craft house. If your heart isn't in a project it's either not going to get done or it won't be done well. Now I can concentrate on the other projects I'm excited about.

3 comments:

  1. You make me laugh! However, I do not understand what WIPS stands for??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! It stands for "Works in Progress"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for asking that, K... I was going to ask the same thing. It's not a military term, so I was lost.

    ReplyDelete

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 Generic License.