Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Cable Guy

So,  you want to hear a secret? Knitting cables is really easy! At least the cabling I have done so far has been really easy.


I never thought I would ever be able to do it. It always seemed way out of my skill level. But, let me repeat: it's really easy!!

I started thinking about all the other things I've thought were too hard for me to do (sewing clothing, learning another language, mountain climbing, running a marathon,...etc) and now I wonder if I really could accomplish them. As crazy as it sounds, I think I probably could conquer a lot of them. I guess knitting and certain crafts (among other life experiences) have taught me that the only thing between me and accomplishing a goal is the time/ dedication necessary to make it happen. Although running a marathon/ climbing a mountain would certainly produce MUCH more sweat than knitting these cables, it's exciting to know that even in my "old" age, I shouldn't put limits on myself or cap my own potential. Who knew that knitting could inspire so much confidence in oneself? From knitting cables to mountain climbing cables...I love it!

The sweater pattern is from here. It comes with two videos that explain parts of the pattern, which is really helpful. This is the first time I've had to knit from a diagram, or in this case, two diagrams. Although I initially found it pretty annoying, I started to feel neurons growing in my brain from the mental exertion and that's always a good thing after living in a constant state of "mommy brain" for the past year and a half.


I also really like this color which is officially called "Bluebell." I keep calling it periwinkle, though. It even matches the WIP bag that I made a little while ago. It's a good color for Little C; It really makes his eyes stand out.  I guess he's a Spring? (I'm an Autumn). People don't talk much about "their colors"anymore, do they?  My husband would be content wearing a blue shirt everyday for the rest of his life. And he refuses to wear certain colors too. Men's clothing is so boring.

Anyway, Little C. is still just a little man, so I can dress him in colors he won't be caught dead in when he's an adult. This sweater could easily be unisex too if I ever have a little girl in the future.


As Little C. chomps noisily on his cheerios next to me with an impish grin on his face, I feel pretty confident that somebody'll be doing some climbing in the future. It might not be a literal mountain, but climbing up the stairs (his new trick) probably feels a lot like scaling Everest to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 Generic License.