Thursday, December 2, 2010

Girls Night Longterm Project

So, remember how I mentioned that instead of working on small crafts for each Girls Night, we decided to individually pick a long project to work on each time we meet instead? Well, this is it.


This is the beginning of a throw blanket, crocheted in a basket weave pattern. The basket weave effect is produced by using front and back post double crochets. The pattern can be found on lionbrand.com, but you have to register to view it, I think.  I'm using 3 double crochets; the pattern calls for 4.



Recognize the yarn? It's the yarn that I've attempted to use for a couple different projects over the last 10 years. First for a lacy throw (undocumented) and then for crochet pillows . This time, I know it's the right project; the pattern calls for this yarn (Lion Brand Homespun), and I've been wanting to make a cozy throw for myself for awhile. Something warm to throw on (ha, get it? puns are fun) while watching TV at night. This will be perfect.


The yarn texture, as well as the pattern, makes for a very thick and warm result. At this time of year when it's rainy, windy, cold, and possibly snowing, crocheting this blanket is a welcome refuge. I kind of get to snuggle under it while I'm making it! Get me a steaming cup of hot cocoa and a good movie and I'm good to go.

***
The are a couple drawbacks to this project, however:
  • I must finish my Christmas knitting/ crocheting ASAP and this is making me procrastinate
  • This is supposed to be a long term project, but I'm probably going to finish it really fast and not during Girls Night
Maybe I'll have to come up with a different idea to work on this year with the girls. Maybe hand stitching something? I'm definitely not likely to ever hand stitch something on my own. And the meetings with the girls would force me to do it. Hmmm...I'll have to do some research.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 Generic License.